PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2020, 17:48
FFMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pistonprop
Let the public decide if they want to travel they are educated and can absorb the information available, making a balanced decision by themselves.

So, if the politicians can't do that do you honestly think the public can? I'd wager that 52% of the public can't!
But normal people are unshackled from the pressures of politics. People everywhere, everyday, take complex calculated risks consciously and subconsciously, that's how the human race has survived and flourished throughout eons - not because a politician has told them what to do. Therefore by and large, people can and do make balanced decisions. In response to the later point by Gurnard about insurance, people (again especially the young) take calculated risks that they won't need insurance, and travel without it already.

In fairness to politicians I do have some sympathy in this case - damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If we don't wake up and stop this nonsense, the same thing is going to happen when CV-20 comes along, CV-21 etc. There literally will be nothing worth living for. Every time somebody has a common cold or a sore throat they have now been conditioned to fear for their lives; and in any case the state has dictated that your life is to cease to exist for 2 weeks. Will people be allowed on a plane with a common cold? - what about poor hay fever sufferers who will now be treated like pariahs? Lack of confidence in planning ahead on its own is probably enough to kill the airline business without anything else. Will people be willing to accept they might lose their holiday and their money just because they have the sniffles (sorry 'symptoms') We really are living in a truly Orwellian world.