PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 15th May 2020, 02:02
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet II
If BA can make redundancies currently in its Cityflyer subsidiary I doubt that there will be much legally stopping them doing the same to mainline. The best the staff might get is that the threat of legal action, even if rather futile in the end, may make the company improve the redundancy terms. I dont see any airline coming out of this crisis with the same amount of staffing as they went in with - there are going to be many colleagues out of work for a long time.
This last sentence highlights the mindset that so many have, and that they may wish to try to change. I doubt many of your colleagues will be out of work for long at all. They are most likely intelligent and driven people and they are unlikely to struggle to find work ... but it probably won’t be in aviation.

I have an uncle who lives in the North East and has been unemployed for around 25 years. He is fit, healthy and not stupid, but my god he is stubborn. He was a miner, and lost his job when the pits closed. He could do all manner of things, but he won’t. ‘He is a miner, and there is no work in mining, so he cannot work’. And that is that. He refuses to accept his chosen vocation is no longer an option, and so he festers.

It will be a bitter pill to swallow, but aviation has just changed. The definition of change is a permanent altering of state. This is happening now and will continue to do so for an unknown period of time. When the rate of change stabilizes and we all take stock, we will look upon a different industry. The one we knew has gone, it is dead, and by definition will never come back as it was.

The new reality for civil aviation will probably be a much smaller industry, salaries will be lower and the work/life balance will be worse (all my opinion - not fact). Market forces will see to this.

People can accept this change and try to stay in the industry, or they can moan and whine about what they have lost, or they can re-invent themselves and succeed elsewhere.

I have spent my life in aviation, and it is full of smart, honest and resourceful people. I very much doubt they will find themselves out of work for long, unless they choose to.