PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airliner Avionics
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2020, 20:27
Airmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main advancements in the GA catagory relate to

1) live weather updates
2) synthetic vision

As for the live weather this is only possible because a network (NEXRAD) has been set up around the US that allows for this. Not all countries have this. In any case it doesn't really matter in commercial aviation as weather forecasting is quite good, and we have a weather radar, ACARS and datalink.

What I would like to see however is a transfer of turbulence data from aircraft to a ground station that could then be relayed to other aircraft. I believe that a lot of work is going into turbulence forecasting and its pointless. Much better to just take the data from g loading sensors on board and have the manufacturers work out a way to catagorize it according to turbulence levels and then have that data sent to a centralized location via ACARS.

As for synthetic vision, like others have mentioned it really doesn't add much if one can do a CAT2 or better autoland. As for terraint awareness we have a TAWS database on board, sure the display of terrain on an ND isn't as 'high tech' as synthetic vision but it does the job. The danger is flying the plane using the synthetic vision like a video game. You don't want that in a commercial setting. Having used a HUD for landing I can honestly say that I see no use for it except for certain airports, and even then you only need one for the PF.