PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Base Training, Command Courses, POS18 and job cuts
Old 14th May 2020, 14:48
Slasher1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Will IB Fayed
I think redundancies and LIFO is about as likely as getting the Chinese to admit they created the virus (not that I think they did). It aint going to happen. No way the company will lose POS18 kids to retain 30yr, ex-A-scale, non-sls taking Captain living in a serviced apartment for $105,000HKD/month. Argue the legalities of your COS all you like. It Will not happen.
I don't doubt that's their intent, but the contract is clear. And that's what a contract is for.

The only sticking point might be one of enforceability. There are jurisdictions where the provision is completely enforceable -- to the point of both grievance and court if violated -- and in some of these the company winds up paying for a large chunk of the process. But it's not esoteric BS; it's about as clear cut as it gets (and you can't close down an operation to evade your legitimate contractural responsibilities--not only is it illegal but you are usually found out and all of the inter-office comms get subpoenaed). And there are jurisdictions where enforcing it might be dodgy.

The company could avoid this by voluntary separations at the upper ends but will have to pay for it. Effectively paying for seniority invested and the contract they agreed. At the end of the day this might be a wise business decision and cheaper all around for everyone. What would NOT be wise is an attempt to end-run the contract and shenanigans because no matter who or what you are this tends to come back at a person.