PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Considers Developing a 757-PLUS Instead of New Mid-Market-Airplane Dubbed 797
Old 12th May 2020, 03:10
Anti Skid On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Not sure about it being bollocks - particularly this bit:

I think this is what really hurt the 757-300 - it was simply too long for a single aisle. This made turn times horrible, and on-board service a nightmare - I sat near the back of a 757-300 one time, after we landed I timed it - it took 10 minutes after the door opened before there was even movement where I was sitting (I flew trans-Atlantic on a DC8-60 way back when - it had the same problem).
Direct operating costs per seat mile for the -300 were good, but it took so long to turn that it took a serious hit for productivity. Single aisle becomes problematic when you get much over 200 seats - twin aisle simply works better when you get much above 200 seats.
I think you missed one little aspect; I once travelled on an A319 operated by Air Canada, with atrocious seat pitch. At one point the queue for the toilets, both at the rear, was 50% the way down the aisle. Had the seat pitch allowed 20 less seats this issue would have been better. Post Covid will be see better seating? Here's hoping