PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150 with good compression but oil in #4
Old 10th May 2020, 16:44
chesterspal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cessna 150 with good compression but oil in #4

Helping my AP do the annual on my 1976 Cessna 150M. Continental 0-200 engine about 100 hours beyond TBO. Purchased about a year ago.
Plane has always run strong and steady with no issues. Run-ups always with identical 50RPM drop. No hesitation, no sputtering. Oil pressure is always right on the money.

Compression was all in the high 70's....76 - 78 (out of 80) and above. Same as when the plugs were changed in October of 2019.

When we pulled the top plugs yesterday, I looked inside and saw some oil in #4 and that one plug was a bit blacker than the others, but not by much. Pulling the bottom plugs and #4 was wet with oil. The others were dry. No oil was detected back at the October 2019 plug change. Only around 25 hours on the engine since then. Also, the oil analysis from October found nothing unusual. Cutting the filter open back then and spreading it out found nothing.

AP thinks it's just the ring gaps lining up. Can I have good compression and still have oil leaking into the cylinder?

Your help and guidance is most appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by chesterspal; 11th May 2020 at 18:29. Reason: clarification