PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 14 day quarantine
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2020, 09:35
BehindBlueEyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s not euthanasia, it’s a fact of life. We’ve made huge medical advances, particularly recently, but no one can live forever and it’s an unavoidable fact, the older you are, generally the lower your resistance to disease. It’s wonderful when you get these fantastic news reports of 99 year old beating Covid - bring it on! - and of course we should try and save lives, but I do wonder how many people on here have been in either a geriatric ward or care home recently? My 88 year old MIL died at the beginning of March with Myeloma and dementia. The desperately sorry state she and other patients were in, it’s no surprise that’s where your greatest casualties are going to be. If carers weren’t feeding them every mouthful, reminding them to drink, taking them to the toilet, they wouldn’t be still be clinging to life as it is. Very, very few people actually die of old age - it’s usually pneumonia, cancer, flu etc. We can’t stop these things completely!

I don’t know why some people see this as a conspiracy to cleanse the world of the elderly. One only has to see the speed and virulence a dose of Norovirus (a minor inconvenience to the young but potentially deadly to the elderly) takes to go through hospitals and care homes to understand just by having a vulnerable group together is unavoidably going to create its own problems.

By the way, don’t believe all the propaganda regarding the NHS you see in the media either. I have friends and family ‘on the front line’ and they are twiddling their thumbs and itching to get back to routine surgery etc as they are spending a lot of time standing around, just in case. A number of them are surprisingly against any further extension of the lockdown too as they can see the long term damage it’s doing to the health system.