PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2020, 08:32
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by oldm8ey
From the sounds of Uncle Greg's email on Friday it looks like redundancy round 2 is coming sooner than we thought.
Whilst possible, we’ve been warned not to read too much into company wide information and assume it relates specifically to Pilots. Further redundancies was mentioned in a previous Live-stream with Foran a week or 2 ago, and when the Pilot group followed up with the GM Pilots, she said it was a generic statement and there were no current plans for further Pilot redundancies.

I’d say Air NZ would be treading on legal eggshells if they announced further Pilot redundancies mere weeks after signing a 9 month agreement with us on pay concessions which was supposed to (and did) save 74 jobs. There are, I believe, certain employment laws around bargaining in good faith.

Right now, the notional list for down training and directions is being worked on. I admit, it’s delay has caused me some pause for concern, but it’s no easy task as I expect they’re exploring options to minimise seat changes. Once it’s released however, and the down training begins, any further redundancies would largely effect the Airbus FO ranks and require the notional process to start over again.

The company have told us multiple times they plan to be 70% size post COVID. This has been pushed out another year to April 2022 so I have no doubt they request an extension to the AFFA beyond 9 rosters, but I can’t see more Pilot redundancies on the horizon unless they revise post Covid size to be 60% (for example). Other departments however, who are cheap to lay off and re-hire/train will unfortunately see more cuts.