PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 10th May 2020, 07:46
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FACoff
True. But it also sees the most financially precarious out of a job while those nearing the end of their careers sit happily on whopping salaries.

I sit well below the chopping line. LIFO seems fair on paper, but my young family who are probably going to lose their house would beg to differ.
I have a lot of sympathy for your situation having been in it before and had the same discussion about LIFO. The problem is, not everyone is in your particular situation. There will be some junior pilots who have no debts, no partners and children and a stack of cash in the bank. Should they take the hit and you be saved on the basis of luck or life choices? Inevitably, you end up with modified LIFO being the only sane course of action. Just a historical note that I was involved with a demotion issue where an early adoption of Modified Lifo was used to allow for gender and to avoid the company being liable to unlimited damages against a charge a sexual discrimination. (worth noting that simple claims for unfair dismissal are limited). 10 years later the fact that a tiny amount of people were saved out of seniority order still caused, shall we say, 'comments'. Best o luck.