View Single Post
Old 9th May 2020, 11:16
VP959

Originally Posted by currawong View Post
VP959 writes -

"However, that's ignoring the way Hong Kong implemented the plan they had developed after the SARS outbreak, that seemed to work a lot better during the initial stages of the disease than many other countries reaction to it. The countries that had experienced SARS, and to a lesser extent H1N1 in 2009, seem to have been a lot better prepared than many other countries, including the UK"

Like I said, willpower.

Out of curiosity, where are the transmissions coming from in the UK now, given it is "locked down"?
Indeed, very much will power, plus, I think, a degree of cultural acceptance of responding more reasonably when being told what to do, perhaps because they had seen what SARS could do, and may well have feared that this might be similar.

It seems that we may have an increasing problem in hospitals and care homes, I think. Both patients/residents and staff seem to be getting infected, which I guess isn't surprising. There have been suggestions that some poor decisions have been made, for example, transferring patients with mild disease from hospitals to care homes, risking a spread of infection from them to others. Much of this seems to be anecdotal, though, as we still don't seem to have very reliable data on what's really going on within those environments.

There's lots of complaints about testing of care home staff, but given that staff testing would need to be very frequent to have any really useful effect, with results being provided quickly after testing, I'm not sure that the apparent lack of testing is really the main reason for this. Staff, who often seem to move around a fair bit, would need to be tested maybe once or twice every day, with results being available within hours, to try to to isolate any one of them that becomes infected, before they have a chance to spread the disease, plus there would still remain the chance that uninfected staff could inadvertently spread it.