PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Coming Battle
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2020, 09:35
Raptor4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Pickuptruck;10776820 That was appealed and changed to 300k each, set amount. [/QUOTE]

I’ve been following this thread with interest and my view is, if you’re going to use history as an indicator of possible future strategy and tactics, the first thing to do is take the time to educate yourself and at least get your facts straight. In the end, at the Court of Final Appeal, The 49ers each received around HKD1.2 million (some more some less) each plus around 70% of their legal costs (a major factor). Much less than the original award of ca HKD4m, admittedly, but still a sight more than the 300K “set amount” quoted earlier. In addition, the cases set legal precedents in HK & the UK which still, to this day, offer protections to employees based in these jurisdictions which previously were untested and, therefore, effectively unavailable to them.

Now to those who think they might be able to use legal avenues to redress any perceived grievances if the Swires decide simply to ignore the contract provisions and scythe through the pilots utilising their usual m.o., I say this. Firstly, you would need to be able to finance such actions up front and, secondly, are you prepared for a protracted legal battle that may take up to 5 years or more? If the answers to both these questions are yes, then very good luck to you but, finally, beware of force majeure.