PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM resumes daily flights from Amsterdam to Madrid,Barcelona and Rome.
Old 9th May 2020, 04:36
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Gavin
Airlines need a market. There is no market for required flights only.
There currently is no new travel insurance and borders are closed to many locations, that goes for trains,ships and cars.

The problem with vacation/recreation travel and Covid-19 is the time frame and volume of people, spend time in airports and taxis getting to a destination and a hotel/s for a week or ten days. The see and do all the attractions of that location that most other visitors are doing, then return via the airport often within around 14 days.

This allows for numerous hot spots of break outs that can easily overload local hospitals - none of the hospitals are funded by any airline to my knowledge.

So I find it very selfish that our industry is happy to overload another sector and contribute then to extra deaths simply to have a holiday on the beach some place warm.

Personally I am happy to take some financial pain, miss my kids on birthdays, miss my vacation and comply with some lockdown requirements. This will not be the last time this happens, but next time we all shall be better prepared and our hospitals will be better equipped and prepared.

I recall recently a thread or two with outrage of mercy flights of passengers from cruise ship and lack of ppe and consideration of the aircrew on these flights and flight crew should be allowed to refuse them against the medical advice given. Many now seem to forget concerns because the restrictions are inconvenient.