PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2020, 16:00
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharklet_321
I would agree with this.

It does seem like easyJet may be on the cards with perhaps a few aircraft to be based at SOU for services to AMS and CDG but also aircraft based around their network in the likes of GLA and EDI flying into SOU. It could be quite a large potential base and wouldn't take too many aircraft (possible 3 at SOU and 3 around the UK?) to take SOU's passenger traffic to 2m or so. They would do well on SOU-BFS, SOU-MAN and SOU-NCL too. Strategically it makes a lot of sense - BRS catchment doesn't really overlap at SOU but they have no presence at LHR so this would be very welcome competition for BA there for people living in the Central South. LGW access is not as good as LHR for this catchment.

I really believe that these types of routes are not suitable to Eastern Airways or Loganair anymore. Loganair needs to be focusing on its core Scottish route network providing lifeline services if they are to come out of this crisis alive.
unfortunately a lot of people choose to post flippant comments without carrying out any research. The internet has existed for a long time and has the answer for most questions if you look hard enough. Of course this is forum and everyone’s opinions are welcome but negativeness on this thread has got out of hand.

The land to the north east is undoubtedly a cash cow for SOU and will unfortunately be wasted on a load of metal sheds to store stuff with a tiny amount of associated employment. In terms of access, an extension of the road to the car parks is planned along the north of the airport land (interestingly it appears to be under a further extended runway in the plan for 2037). It is not clear whether this is the long talked about Chickenhall link road but either way the current planning does not include any mention of a road. Therefore you have to assume that the runway planning is purely associated with generating capital from flights.

LM and T3 will just be at SOU in the interim, once a low cost operator moves in they will probably just serve the odd route that does not have any competition. The comment about LGW is a valid one, why would EZY for example open a base in SOU if they are potentially reducing their LGW base. The point I was making in my previous post was that they or someone else could be under contract to open a base conditional on SOU getting its planning. It’s just a though and there would probably be get out clauses but a crisis of this nature would be very unlikely to be have considered at the time any contract was agreed. Saying that, the stands as someone else has said are pretty key to basing larger aircraft, together with changes to the security, baggage etc. Let’s see, but this area of the country is very wealthy and are likely to be relatively unaffected financially by the crisis.