PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2020, 13:54
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Work your way one step at a time

There is a lot of good information here. I'll share a few thoughts.

Flying is expensive. Try to pick a reasonable way to manage the costs.

Join a glider club. You can learn to fly inexpensively. Become a glider instructor. You will gain knowledge and influence w/in the club. Find out what's required to be a tow pilot in the glider club. Get a PPL and pursue those requirements. If it helps, instruct in TMGs to get hours to be able to tow. Once you've established yourself you can fly as a tow pilot. EASA doesn't count glider flying 1:1, but being "tuggie" counts.

Flying is not cheap. But you can make it more affordable. Never borrow for training money you can't afford to pay back without the new job. Get a job and live well within your means. Fly gliders. Get a PPL. Research your options. Be a tow pilot. Or a skydive pilot. Work. Save money to pay as you go. Instruct. When you fly, practice to the highest standards you can - if +/- 100 feet is OK, work to stay +/- 50. Maintain high standards from the beginning.

You will read people say, "I've spent 100,000 Pounds, Euro, Dollars and have been looking for a job for three years." When I was a young Army officer an old retired Sergeant told me, "Plan your work, and work your plan." That advice has worked for me for the last 35 years! I saw a sign recently "A goal without a plan is just a dream." Make a plan. Make the goal into reality. Without being destitute at the end. Work through the next couple years. It will be OK.

Good luck!

Last edited by LTCTerry; 8th May 2020 at 18:58. Reason: Typo correction