PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin headed for another disaster, says REX chairman
Old 8th May 2020, 07:44
George Glass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Telfer86
George you said this
"No such thing as overtime on the QF SH award. There is a minimum guarantee then additional hours paid at a flat rate"

I think that would be the very definition of OT wouldn't it , you get paid X for doing 53.5 hours a month , then the hourly rate for anything above

Did read the Virgin EBA , yes it is 69 hours, not 60 as someone told me

Still very much under the odds for this day & age , at work for 10.5 months , for a pretty cruisy 730 hours pa

Notice the base for LHS is $240K , and RHS $155K , gross from 30 to 60% over that , didn't have time to read the 120 page contract

Do you think the wages levels might have been part of the problem here as to why Virgin lost money year in / year out ?

Overtime is usually an increased hourly rate above the standard hourly rate. Ever since 1989 Airlines have resisted any move to overtime , unlike the Longhaul Award which predates the debacle.The SH award gives an illusion of a “salary” but in reality is just the minimum the company is prepared to “guarantee “.They would make it 20 hours a month if they could. Personally I think Fleet pay is the way to go but there are too many vested interests on both sides for it to happen. Probably just academic now anyway.