PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2020, 12:58
pug

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by felixflyer
My point is that whilst the job is still seen as a prestigious career that image can be used to sell to those who want the status that comes with it rather than just being paid to fly. Once the T&C's are driven down to rock bottom levels and we start seeing min wage pilots then that image will cease to exist and with it the ability to sell £100,000 courses to get there.

It will then be left to those who just wish to be paid to fly and would do so no matter what.

Flying for fun is expensive which is why you need a well paying job or business to finance it. There will be opportunity in the coming years if you know where to look and it might be the case that this route is better than doing it as a career for many.
Whilst I know where you’re coming from, most of what you’ve said was also said 12 years ago, and prior to this current situation the market for new opportunities has been the best seen in many years. Obviously this is a game changer, for how long who knows? And it’s irritating to see the ‘pilot shortage’ mantra trotted out, but flying schools are businesses too and have to make a living somehow.

I think the onus is on the student to apply due dilligence, but it’s not necessarily a time to stop training altogether.

Last edited by pug; 7th May 2020 at 16:47.