PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2020, 20:08
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would work equally well I think so long as the "new CAP509" had an "airline pays" requirement, or like BOAC at Hamble, included an extended amount of time in a real aircraft to the extent that no reasonable trainee would be able to afford it themselves.

I think one of the most important things is to normalise whatever T&Cs improve so they become an expectation rather than a rarity. One of the reasons I suspect training courses were sponsored in the past is that most airlines had one, therefore it was much easier for the board to justify to shareholders, it was simply an accepted cost of doing business. So, when one or two airlines began to recruit lots of cadets who had paid their own way, the shareholders of the other airlines could better put senior management under pressure to also expect cadets to pay. I have heard some people say that BALPA was very BA-focused to the extent that it didn't react in the other airlines until it was too late, though I don't know first-hand is this is true. In the US, the massively higher salaries after the 1500 hour rule presumably became accepted as the going rate, though I guess this may change once the recovery starts.

I know this is all probably a long way off but if the pilots do ever see an improvement in T&Cs, they need to make sure to hold on to them.