PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 4th May 2020, 14:18
TOM100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes unfortunately profit = investability = new planes = new products = secure pension funds - that is capitalism. State intervention = poor decisions & interference = inefficiency = no profit = no investment and so it goes on. Look at BA’s performance when it was an extension of the civil service - strikes, old fleet, lack of innovation etc I know it’s not normal times but as leaders of business the last thing you want is political interference and poor decisions skewed by politicians. If BA can weather this on their own two feet I am sure that will be their preferred outcome. IB is a different animal in a different place as is AEA investment. Even if it is the same group they are very different businesses - IB went through a lot of restructure pain not so long ago......it’s a tough one. I for one would not want politicians interfering in running businesses - that’s why LH have reportedly mulled bankruptcy as a better outcome than the former. A difficult conundrum for the senior bods - who are they accountable to ? Their shareholders who’s money they have been entrusted with. I am not saying in the current climate morally it is desirable or right but pointing out fact.

if they had millions of yours what would you think they should do (a rhetorical question). Look at what Stelios is doing to the EZY board atm.....,

BTW - it is previous government involvement (1970’s agreements and restrictive practices) that they are now trying to unpick.