PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2020, 20:58
ACW562

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
I for one am appalled at the way the Air Cadets have been let down by those in charge at the top; but despite this the organisation still has a shed load of brand new winches and a quantity of 'refurbished' Vikings. Apart from anything else 2FTS will still want to keep themselves employed, and in the case of Kenley which serves the largest catchment area of all they have been provided with a brand new HQ on what is a secure site. The Vigilants have been killed off due to the lack of will to engage with the engine issue of being on extension, and despite an LAA based project to sort this out it no doubt suited those who wanted to 'bury the dead' for the patient to stay dead. The Vikings have now been effectively given an extra life, so with Kenley (615), (and soon 626) getting new facilities I think there must be a 10 year future at least. This is enough time to look at, and organise replacement equipment if the budget and will exists.
Either way although we will not see the organisation 'as it was' it at least still gives an 'AIR' element to those Cadets who aspire to train to solo standard.
I have said it before. And again........During WW2 and austerity years that followed. Rationing continued etc. The RAF and MOD formed Air Cadet Gliding. Its was not for the want of people to join the RAF as they were being de mobbed any way. Fast forward to the last decade !!! It does not make sense. But wait ! That police inspector in me tells me the bean counters and the anti Air Cadet Gliding type of RAF officer with promotion and job security in mind with pension to look forward to, has something to do with it. Sad. So sad.