PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2020, 15:46
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver Lining/Lemonade?

I lost a job in 2002. My undergraduate degree is nuclear physics. I had some experience with "special weapons" in a younger life. I was hired in 1993 to work in a facility that produced the plutonium for those very same devices. I was one of 27,000 people working there, with a focus on processioning the waste remaining from Pu production. I was laid off 9.79 years later (The number is important because for benefits they truncate rather than round. Pension is at 65 unless age 60 with ten or more years.)

There were six rounds of layoffs ahead of me eliminating 10,000 people from the workforce. I was let go in a group of 47. In 2002 people still wrote checks in the grocery store. The cashier would ask for a work telephone number. Thankfully I was an Army Reservist and I used that office phone number. What would have happened if I said, "Sorry, I don't have a job?"

The Army Reserve weekend-per-month income made a huge difference between going broke slowly or quickly.

Within several months I had found a job as a high school science teacher for the school year starting in August. I knew I would be ok, but it was depressing with no money to spare and a lot of time on my hands. Plus two young kids and newly divorced.

Eleven years later I left teaching and became an Army Civil Servant. I just had my sixth anniversary. I like what I do. I purchased my military time in my civilian retirement. I'm going to work one more year, then "retire" at age 61.

Why "retire" with quotes? I am going to start a new career. The local aviation charter company approached me a while back. They have used their flight instructors as SIC in their charter business (Part 135 if you care about FAA vocabulary). These instructors would get 1499 hours with a couple hundred as King Air SIC and go get an entry level airline job. So, the charter company is hiring/training experienced pilots with a tie to the community to be SIC. I just turned 60; I'm not looking for an airline career. I can, however, be SIC for several years, allowing a good return on their training costs. I have the opportunity to be Captain eventually. So, just as "Shelter in place" was ramping up I finished training and passed the checkride for FAA multi-engine commercial pilot. I have about 900 hours with 70 multi-engine. This would be a stepping stone for many, but it's a wonderful continued opportunity for me.

I don't care for the term "new normal" but it does often apply. Most everyone eventually "lands on their feet." Most clouds do "have a silver lining" (hmm), and "when life gives you lemons, you can make lemonade." Trite clichés don't always help, but most people will work something out. Having been there, I can sympathize with the loss of a professional salary and a decimated pension plan.