PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TDWR Radars
Thread: TDWR Radars
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2020, 03:14
mach2.6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, thanks for the quick responses. The above radars are the WSR88s, which have been the go-to radars in the USA for decades. They are consdered long-range radars, with (as I recall) about 120 NM range. The TDWR (terminal doppler weather radar) are higher frequency radars (with higher resolution), deployed in the years after the Delta L1011 crash at DFW, to paint windshear and hook echoes. They have a range of either 30 or 45 MN (I forget which). The data from the WSR88s can be "stretched" to expand precip over a certain area (like directly over an airport or a small town) if you have an app that does that, but the accuracy isn't anywhere near that of the TDWRs. BTW, the MIA WSR88 was back up a few days prior to the "scheduled" back-in-service date. It was "notamed" out for a routine replacement of the generator. Which also puzzles me, because it should not be necessary to take down a WSR88 for a routine generator replacement. Unless there is no commercial power at the radar site and the radar runs on generator 24/7.