PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Pilots
Thread: Future Pilots
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2020, 07:19
shamrock_f22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry a couple of points I forgot to add - airline and training centre recruitment teams love to give candidates a hard time and come up with all manner of questions that make you feel bad for not having given your blood, sweat, DNA, and family life savings in the pursuit of becoming a pilot.

Human Remains in particular love to grill people with banal questions like "well if you were really that dedicated why have you only had 4 flying lessons since x date?".

Just remember your circumstances are often unique to you. Follow what's right for you.

I had to explain to that particular individual that I came from a working class family who had nothing in an environment where we were encouraged to work as plumbers or go on the dole by school (nothing wrong with being a plumber btw!). Every time I saved up, something would happen - 9/11 (I'm an Asian Muslim from the UK), local airport being shut down, paying my way through uni, looking after family, moving country, getting married etc. On top of that I worked 70-90 hour weeks so a second job to pay for lessons wasn't feasible. Life happened and I wouldn't have changed a thing - doesn't mean I didn't want to be a pilot still and found other ways to keep current with what was going out. It just always felt out of reach.

The pilot sat in the interview just smiled knowingly and said "That's exactly the journey I went through"

I'm just highlighting the above because there will always be people who will tell you it's all or nothing. Now or never. That's not true. Follow what's right for you but always make sure you have an alternative path to follow if for whatever reason things don't work out or you just find its not right for you