PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-off technique in light singles and twins
Old 30th Apr 2020, 02:08
International Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Centaurus and I always enjoy his articles , not to mention his genuine wish to pass on information that may well be lost if nothing is said here.
I also agree with Swark7700 and his take on the subject.
Light aircraft instructing was something that I did many decades ago and I remember that many aircraft ( especially the very light ones) would rattle down the runway if the pressure was kept on the nose wheel to the terror of the students. Taking the pressure off did ease the situation sometimes and I always put it down to sh-tty design , the maintenance that plagued the industry in those days or the result of students landing on the nose wheel and possibly bending the structure.
Civil instructors are always customer focused , for the obvious reason and, you try to achieve the goal by using lateral thinking while still trying to be safe.
Some one I once new said: 'Unlike in the military, a punter only gets washed out when he runs out of money, enthusiasm or scares himself enough to give up.'
Some times an instructor will dumb down a technique a bit much and you end up with something like lifting the nose wheel off the ground instead of taking the pressure off the wheel. Of course, sometimes with particularly bad maintenance, the vibration was worse with the nose wheel just spinning on worn out bearings than with some pressure on it!

I also demonstrated aircraft for sale to many greedy investors with more finance than ability and was ( at times ) told to 'make sure you show them that he aircraft performs perfectly'.
One time I had to demonstrate that a Partenavia could maintain altitude on one engine with a full pax complement ( or almost full as I recall all the group potential purchasers were on board).
From memory, the certification requirement was a 1% climb rate at 5000', on one engine ( for a new aircraft).
Well, we weren't at 5000', one engine was at 'zero thrust' setting ( or maybe a little more) and we just managed to get a little climb out of it.
I for one was surprised , the purchasers didn't notice and were impressed enough to lay their money down..

A demo pilot is charged with making sure the aircraft performs and in this case , maybe this is the dumbed down technique that he preached to journalists of unknown ability
to achieve his goal.

Keep the stories coming, Centaurus!