PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 30th Apr 2020, 02:06
Built4Speed2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to say I agree

Originally Posted by judge11
Cast your minds back to post 9/11 and then 2008 - BA claim the end of the aviation world is nigh, take pay cuts and decimate T&Cs to 'save the company' - you know what happened thereafter. The 'best' became just another airline on 900hrs per annum, the most coveted roster system trashed, pension scheme destroyed - all in the name of 'saving the company'. The problem for management is, they have pared you to the bone (with your full and naive support) that there's little left to cut.
Judge is right. As a current Nigel and former BACC rep, we have made our beds. Squandering the bull run and historic profitability, we followed the Pied Piper with his pseudo economics and general BS and ratcheted down our own t&c’s. Where’s the special relationship now, where’s the reset? For that matter where’s the promise of no redundancies for a 50% pay cut until July? We have cut away all the fat, so any further cuts will be muscle. Muscle that has built this once great airline.

But what worries me most is the people that are representing us. I have seen nothing but naivety and a lack of understanding of what has gone on previously. BALPA HQ, under this GS is a joke too. The lack of talent at party HQ is apparent even from a distance, and BA will have seen that for themselves.

Especially last September when we showed, without doubt, that we are a toothless (as well as incompetent) tiger. This is IAGs prayers all being answered in one, the virus may be novel but their SOP isn’t!

I fear this will be BALPAs biggest cock up of all, it will make previous blunders look almost palatable. We are royalty screwed, people.

IAG will pair back terms so as to compete with airlines in the upturn. The same airlines that have taken billions in subsidies and loans. No wonder they won’t even be offering Mixed Fleet terms and conditions, we will be a whisker away from slave wages. The gig economy in an airline, I dare say we will be the equivalent of Deliveroo drivers when this is over.