PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Pilots
Thread: Future Pilots
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2020, 18:10
guy_incognito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldeep Inminj
Secondly, look a tourist aviation - how many people are having a financial scare right now? I don’t know the number, but it includes virtually everyone I know including me. So, take that foreign vacation (in the tube of recycled air), or keep the money in the bank and maybe have a few days somewhere more local?
Flying for pleasure will take a big hit..
I've just picked out this bit to quote, because fundamentally I agree with everything else you wrote.

I think if you get out of the aviation bubble you'll find that most people actually aren't struggling right now. The people on our estate, none of whom are pilots or involved in aviation in any way, are currently working from home but apart from that it is very much business as usual. It's business as usual for accountants, lawyers etc., in other words middle class professionals who take at least one relatively expensive family holiday a year. It's also business as usual, if that's the way to put it, for the well off retirees who are still planning to head to the Canaries this winter. From speaking to the neighbours, I'm yet to find anyone who is worried about getting on an aeroplane, or going to another country. What I am hearing is a universal desire to get away on holiday as soon as restrictions are lifted.

I think the one area of aviation that will suffer the least in the UK (note I haven't said it won't suffer at all) is bucket and spade, package holiday flying within Europe. Business travel and long haul is of course an entirely different matter and is going to suffer massively.