PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 29th Apr 2020, 13:51
MaximumPete

Uncle Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ho 'n' High, Sorry about the typo, I did mean redundancy, now corrected.

RoyHudd, When I was fairly new to BMA, as it was then known, I faced redundancy in my mid twenties with a wife and young family. At the same it was suggested by some of the more senior captains that certain individuals who had retired from BOAC and BEA on fat pensions may do the decent thing and resign to save the youngsters' jobs. They refused and the planned redundancies took place, fortunately I just missed the cut. Life has a funny way of dealing with things as one gentleman was dead within a year from cancer and never had a life in retirement, a pastime I can highly recommend. Yes I was lucky to stay in the same airline for over three decades but it did have its ups and downs, but the grass isn't always greener in the next field. I can think you can see now why I'm suggesting, possible too subtly, that the more senior employees might consider the option of early retirement.
One thing both have in common in a loathing for our erstwhile leader and how he treated his employees in the company pension fund, and don't forget it was a condition of service that you joined the company pension fund, no ifs or buts.