PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 29th Apr 2020, 12:48
whatdoesthisbuttondo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Greens
The statement from BA Is particularly aimed at U.K. GOV I Think. That’s not to detract from the very serious trading conditions, but willie is in effect giving them a kick up the backside to remind them that if they don’t give us a pathway out of this, The UK airline business will soon be decimated beyond recovery. A strange game of brinksmanship. Possibly some kind of message to not bail Virgin out too, but I was never much good at poker so I won’t comment on that further.
This is exactly what I thought too. The wording was very odd and deliberate about the U.K. taxpayer and not receiving government support.

When I first heard the statement, I thought it sounded like brinksmanship also but then dismissed this as it would be an odd thing to do.

Maybe it’s just my disbelief at the scale of the problem.

Airlines are talking about reduced size post covid though so it’s not entirely unexpected regardless of furlough schemes etc.

A lot can happen between now and the announcement and consultation process though so hopefully the landscape will be starting to look more positive by then.