PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2020, 00:00
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by normanton
Well that's my point. Don't forget that one training movement at the top can make countless more down the line. Training costs, sim costs, allowances etc. it all adds up.

The most cost effective way here is an option that allows the company to stand people down. Not an option in your current EBA, but again, with the survival of the company at priority #1, Air NZ should be going to the courts.
Air NZ rejected 40+ 777 Captains offer of Voluntary severance, which, unlike Redundancy, could of been paid fortnightly. I'm just a simple line Pilot, but seems they aren't interested in losing people off the top (thus reducing down-training) unless they take early Retirement and walk. I don't believe down-training will cost any "cash" while we're sitting at home with nothing else to do.

Again, the Jet Pilot wage bill will have reduced from ~$230M to ~$175M out of the total $4.5B in expenses. Standing us down (which isn't legal in NZ) would buy them enough cash for maybe another 2 months.
I have no doubt if COVID drags on we'll be asked to make to accept further paycuts, and I would expect the Executive to lead by example.

Originally Posted by dctPub
Well Jetconnect and Jetstar NZ are all on LWOP.
I believe they were told to accept LWOP or face closure of the NZ operations, thus Redundancy.