PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2020, 12:03
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotLZ
True that, but how many train driver jobs are out there waiting for someone with zero railway experience? Most people becoming train drivers are there to stay and expansion is not in orders of magnitude even in the best of times. Vacancies are few and are often filled by internal promotion. So, as lucrative as it may sound, it's probably not quicker or easier to achieve than another flying job. The big question is, how does one keep some cash coming in the meantime...
On my course a few years ago, 7 out of 8 were externals, 2 out of 8 were over 50 years of age. It's perfectly normal to see people well north of 50 who've never worked on the railway to be offered a place on a training course. That said, the process is just as competitive as an airline mentored programme, the aptitude tests are tough and the companies really like life experience. One of the reasons I mentioned it is that it might be worthwhile for pilots out of work to consider it as a career since a lot of the flying experience would be deemed beneficial. The train companies will expect a return of service post-training, 3 years is the norm, so any pilots would need to convince them it was a one-way move.

There's a massive retirement boom in the UK at the moment whereby the more "prestigious" companies which used to only take internals as trainee drivers are opening up to external applicants. I don't know if the situation will continue post-virus but it 's been a drivers' market for a few years.