PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2020, 11:12
FZRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happyjack
Many years ago with another aviation downturn I found myself out of work. I applied for a crewmember position on a ferry boat. It was incredibly difficult to secure the position as once they knew my background they knew that as soon as a flying position became available I would be off. They were not wrong. I did get the job, through mutual acquaintances but I was gone after just a couple of months. On reflection it was not a good idea to tell them my background but how do you avoid it? Not only is it 90% of my CV but it's historical so what "were" you doing? The reality is that being Buck Rogers qualifies you for nothing once it's over.
happyjack hits the nail on the head. The boss of a small airline I used to work for purposely excluded pilot CV's from office type roles as he knew they'd have zero commitment to the company during an upturn.

From those who have actually made a move elsewhere, any tips on how to target non-aviation type jobs? I'm thinking specifically here about how to adapt a CV that only has flying or other aviation roles. It's all well and good saying that we've got the skills to be useful outside of flying, but how to make it clear that we're committed to trying something else and won't bolt the moment a new airline comes along!