PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The F-35 thread, Mk II
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2020, 22:52
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

So we finally get real numbers. The 8 seconds was an increase in the time to go from "x" to "y", and not total time to get there.. Whew. And sounds reasonable for a one gee st-and-level profile. Actually, total time sounds a bit weak, but whatthehell. I wanna see the actual configuration. Most of us did not sit there on AP and wait, but bunted over slightly and zoom. Once above the big drag hump, climbing at 1.2M or so was comfortable. But we never did it! We did not practice zipping in above the mach.

I never flew a Viper with a drag index of greater than 150 to my knowledge. Best I recall was at Red Flag with two x drops, centerline ECM pod, 6 x MK-82 and two by AIM-9L. Would have to look up what that DI was. I cruised most of the way in at 480 KCAS , but 540 for the final run-in. Burning about 9,000 pounds per hour at 90% power, and had a bit over 9,000 pounds of gas when approaching the IP for the bomb run.

I am not all that sure that the JSF concept back in early 90's was for a cheap bomb truck to replace the Viper. Seems to me it was to be the eventual replacement for the Hornet, Harrier and Viper. But stealthy. So the Harrier aspects meant less commonality, but what the hell. I am also not that sure the air superiority mission was a big driver. That is 'cause USAF was fighting like hell to build more Raptors, and a good way to cut the procurement was to tout the Stubbie as a great interceptor. Reminds me of the Viper versus the Eagle, where they wouldn't let us be capable of a BVR missile. Good topic someplace else.

The biggest change in the F-35/JSF development that I saw involved the advanced avionics compared to the initial requirements. I feel that the super duper avionics added a healthy 5 years from contract award thru development and finally an operational jet on the ramp at Hill AFB. And from all the folks I have talked with and available data, the machine is in a class by itself.

Aerodynamically, it does things like the Hornet and Migs/SU's. But it's major attributes bringing to the fight are LO and unbelieveable avionics. Its radar can be used as a jammer, as well as Wild Weasel enema threat detection system. Its ground map capability is amazing. Of course, it can zoom in and not use the radar except in a passive mode and exploit the 360 deg coverage in various E-O wavelengths.

Finally, having a hydraulic line bust from debris when a tire blows is not rare. The gear on a smaller plane is not like you see on a 787, or AB 330. Things are smaller and closer together. As long as you don't lose the other side or both hydraulic systems or NSW steering, no biggie.

Gums sends...