PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2020, 15:28
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never really understood why people max themselves out on spending, anyone who is in a well-remunerated job you'd think would be able to get six months' living costs together fairly quickly. In my case, I was saving up for the modular route, though given the situation I don't think I'd consider self-funded training unless the recovery is very strong indeed or some other major event happens. I'd consider going for any fully-funded airline schemes, though I doubt they'll exist for a while.

Over on the railway, in the UK, a well known train operator who runs the West Coast expresses is currently recruiting for trainee drivers right now. Even though it's not especially difficult to find capable trainees given the numbers that apply, those who are successful won't have to pay a penny for their training which lasts over a year and which will cost their employer well over £100k. Instead, they'll be paid a smidge under £40k a year to sit in a classroom and after a few months drive under supervision and route learn, they'll then go up towards full money which they'll get once they've been qualified a year or two. The entire time, they'll be on a defined benefit pension scheme. That's what put into perspective for me. I may be a bit biased though at the end of the day and if I had the choice I'd rather be flying a plane than driving a train, however it is just a job at the end of the day. Nothing more, nothing less.