PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2020, 11:57
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I do have a very small piece of possible advice for those youngsters who dream of a career in aviation.

I am in my early 50’s. I wanted to fly for as long as I can remember - I genuinely never wanted to be anything other than a pilot. I was very fortunate to have quite wealthy parents who supported this aim. When I turned 20 I had a frozen atpl, was an instructor and had around 1000hrs in various piston singles and twins. I was lucky.
However I could not seem to make that next leap on the ladder and get somebody to pay me to fly rather than the other way round.
I had a long conversation with my uncle who had been in the RAF. He told me that the Military offered far better flying than a civilian could dream of, but demanded an awful lot in return. He said I needed to be honest about my goals and asked if it was the actual flying I craved or the lifestyle of being an airline captain.
I applied to the RAF, I was accepted, and then spent 29 wonderful years doing the most amazing flying - things I shall remember for a lifetime.
However, my friends who got into the the airlines at an early age are now pretty much all a lot wealthier than me...but I have much better stories! It’s horses for courses.

Now I really hesitate to call it a silver lining but the instability in the world, not to mention the current crisis, has only served to solidify the need for military aviation. It will not suit all, indeed it may not suit many, but for those that simply have to fly, it is there as an option and they are recruiting.

Just my thoughts 😁