PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government Loan to Virgin Australia
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2020, 09:52
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
George, I have made it quite clear that my animus with Qantas is economic. Foreign investment is critical to Australia. Every study of inbound foreign investment behaviour demonstrates that direct international flights to potential investment locations is a critical factor in deciding where the investment is made.

‘’I know for a fact that the Qantas practice of “hubbing most international flights out of Sydney during the 1970’sand 1980’s at least skewed foreign investment, principally in banking and IT disproportionately to NSW. It was deliberate and it cost QLD,VIC,SA a fortune in lost investment. The bias towards Sydney is NOT the behaviour of a business that claims to be a national airline, especially at the time it was taxpayer owned.

As for Qantas staff and operations, I have most always been delighted by their professionalism and training...most of the time. I wish all of them well. I probably did YMEL,YSYD,LHR at least six times during the 70’s and 80’s since I had British family to visit. The QF staff were awesome, not so being dragged to Sydney after 20 + hours from LHR, and having to wait for three+ hours while the aircraft was cleaned and refurbished before boarding for the flight to Melbourne. What QF was effectively doing was ensuring Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide were four hours further from New York and London than Sydney.

I am also not a fan of the previous managements failed attempt to steal, sorry, take over, the airline as well as its horrible treatment of its staff, particularly its engineers.

And you know what? Left to its own devices Qantas will do it again and strangle economic development outside NSW. THAT is why Brisbane Melbourne and Sydney state governments are prepared to fight to get Virgin, not the airline jobs..

‘’To put it another way, Qantas is not acting in the nations best interests, therefore it should not be accorded the status of a national airline and the associated political clout.

‘’Do I make myself clear?