PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government Loan to Virgin Australia
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2020, 06:24
Paragraph377

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgins salute to Ansett in Brisbane

Originally Posted by TooFiddy
I have a lot of sympathy for VA mates who are ex-Ansett and already been through this once and are now facing unemployment again.
Same with the newer lot who joined an established airline and thought they had a career for as long as they wanted it.
But the ones who were there with Branson in 2000 and 2001, be they pilot or ground staff, laughing and cheering and screaming at the imminent collapse of Ansett and the thousands of job losses get no sympathy whatsoever. You frothed at the opportunity to further your own cause at the expense of people who'd been working in a 65yo airline and now it looks like happening to you.
That niggly pain you're feeling is karma biting you squarely on the arse. Learn from it.
I was working in a Consultative role on the day that Ansett’s last Brisbane domestic flight pulled into the Brisbane domestic terminal. From memory it was onto Bay 39 or 40. The then Virgin Blue had aircraft on the adjacent satellite standoff bays, so the AN plane taxiied by quite close. Virgin ramp staff could be seen waving at the aircraft AND giving it the finger and laughing. AN staff unloaded their aircraft and VB staff drove nearbye on their tugs and were again laughing and giving the AN ground staff the finger. I will not only never forget that, but I was absolutely shocked and disgusted. Ansett, although financially failing, always offered superb service and looked and acted professional. The Virgin reaction was unbelievably disgusting. I am glad they eventually grew up somewhat and can only hope that none of their people received a return serve the day they went into Administration. It’s just not cricket.