PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Flying Badges
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2020, 12:25
Bob Viking

Received 518 Likes on 145 Posts
RPAS Wings

Do we collectively think it’s time to put the whole RPAS wings thing to bed now?

I qualified as a single seat FJ pilot so my training and time to wings was longer than most.

I have no desire to ever operate an RPAS.

I do however believe that the RPAS pilots are entitled to wear wings once they have completed the requisite course. They are pilots that operate an RAF asset and so should wear the appropriate badge. I bear them no ill will whatsoever.

If it’s jealousy, get over it. If you think they haven’t earned it go and give it a go and see if you still think that.

Nobody has ever said an RPAS pilot could walk into a Typhoon Sqn and take one for a spin. In fact in order to make the crossover (should the service need ever require it, which I strongly doubt) they would be required to complete the requisite training beforehand just like a multi engine or rotary pilot would if they were to tread that path.

You are entitled to disagree with me but currently the RAF of 2020 would disagree with you.

I know what I did to earn my wings and seeing an RPAS pilot wearing the same badge does not cause me to lose a single wink of sleep.

BV