PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 19:54
Havingwings4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Iam hearing through my pos in the union, and talking to different unions and management's, it's clear load factors will not be back to 'normal' for at least the end of the year. Every airline has unique financial aspects but the focus will be on cost cutting through fuel hedging(the current fuel price is a gift that wont last), labor cost, get rid of certain overhead and negotiating leases. It's clear that labor cost will have to be substantially cut at least for the length of which revenues are heavily impacted and employees will hopefully fight to keep everybody employed at lower wages instead of having lower seniority laid off trying to protect the current wages. I remember where pilots were facing this choice a few years ago and chose to have a lot of their colleagues laid off in order to protect their pay( it was more complicated but beyond the scope here).
I really hope unions will focus on keeping current employees employed through temporary benefit cuts which should be recouped when things are better again.