PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private equity take-over for Virgin Australia?
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 03:45
BNEA320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
Yes, I am sure Qantas is quaking in their boots with the only domestic competition being virtually insolvent. I doubt Qantas is dedicating much time at all to what Virgin is up too, their campaign for no government bailout was successful and they are now figuring out how to keep themselves in business. On a town hall last week we were told Qantas Group can stay grounded for 12 months with current cashflow, that was before the limited domestic schedule restarting. Domestic Oz and NZ likely restarting within the next 4 weeks with perhaps some Tasman in June. So I don’t think Qantas is ready to string themselves up just yet, they will be making a market share grab whilst Air NZ and Virgin are otherwise distracted.
QF should be quaking in their boots.
New airline, if run by likes of Indigo, will probably be hedging fuel & all other costs much lower than qantas. Any ex VA staff who think they will get paid anything like what they were getting are dreaming. They'll probably work more for less. Those who don't like that, don't need to apply.

If newby goes where the money is, they can't loose. Qantas can't easily lower their staffing costs.

Qantas are stuck with highly paid staff & a very mixed fleet. International might be slower to take off than domestic, which favours newby.

Golden triangle is called golden for a reason.