PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2020, 12:28
JonnyH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LBAflyer22
One was about to turn a profit. For the first time in a while, thanks to DL strategy. And further profits next year.

Also ones pan European. Ones U.K. Why doesn’t easyJet also go to the European Union for money?

As a tax payer, I’d rather pay a UK carrier, of an owner that’s not only donated $250million, and Necker Island, then another airline that’s got an arrogant pig of a major shareholder, who’s donated sweet FA, not paid his dividend back, and publicly throws a tantrum. I know who’s side I’m on and it isn’t the arrogant.
It is a matter of an opinion really. I cannot say that the majority of the U.K. would agree. If Branson wasn’t perceived to be such a tax dodger I think there would be no issues. Other airlines are a lot stronger financially too which will be a strong consideration.

If they’re rarely posting profits, they cannot gain any capital off their shareholders, then how can you expect them to be bailed out to the tune of £500/£600M? Nobody knows how long this will continue for too and this could easily be the first time they go to the “well” for taxpayers cash.

As someone has put it earlier in the thread, would you expect a bank to continue to bankroll you just because someone else has been funded? The answer is a clear no. EasyJet and Virgin are poles apart in regards to profitability and ability to repay this huge sum of money. EasyJet must have a substantially better credit rating than Virgin one could imagine.

However, people need to stop falling for the Branson should fund it as it is complete BS. He is a billionaire by assets and surely has no where near that amount of readily available capital. Could DL seek funding from the American government though? They’re the majority shareholder.