PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin recruiting soon...
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2020, 18:19
3Greens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RexBanner
Mr Kipling are you sure about that? Have you seen the pitiful state of a statutory redundancy payment in the U.K. recently? In the greater scheme of things it’s peanuts. The average BA PP24 LH Captain would be looking at a rough maximum of £16K as a payout. Not even including the company pension payment BA will have broken even on that redundancy payment in less than a month of payroll reduction. There’s huge savings to be made on an ongoing basis from chopping the most senior first. Not saying that’s going to happen just pointing out that saying it’s more expensive to sling out the most senior pilots is nonsense.

(I’m neither arguing for or against LIFO. If you were talking about a 20% reduction in VS or BA, I‘d actually probably be just about safe if it were applied. However I’m a realist and I know that a company in financial distress will do exactly what suits them and is the safest legally (ie slinging out those caught up in the process of closing a base or chopping a fleet) not abiding by gentlemen’s agreements).
LIFO in BA isn’t a “gentleman’s agreement”. It’s written in the MOA. (k.11.). And yes, it was updated as recently as 2015.