PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2020, 15:33
commit aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The96er
Weather you like it of not, society will have to be opened up within the next few weeks. The virus Will NOT be gone within the next few weeks, so you'll have to learn to live with it. If not, try watching some Mad Max films, they're now listed under 'Documentaries and Learning'.
Agreed lockdown will begin to be lifted and we will have to learn to live with it but we will do so by adapting how we live.
I cannot believe that we will press a reset button and just carry on as before.
As far as aviation is concerned we will see a new normal develop but I have no idea what that will look like yet.

Even if we assume that air travel is unlocked in some form, will governments welcome overseas visitors straight away? Economically they may want to but there are huge health risks.
I would imagine at least 50% of people would initially have no desire to travel overseas anyway. For those who might, what happens if the virus takes hold again. Worst case, we are back here and these people would then no doubt expect the government to bring them home again costing more money that we haven’t got (I say we as “we” are the taxpayers who ultimately pick up the bill.) I’m sure senior leaders in both government and the travel industry are acutely aware of this and factor these risks into their decision making.

I am an optimistic sort (honest!!) and would dearly love this all just to go away as quickly as it arrived but the reality is that I can’t see that happening any time soon. Most people I know in the industry have written off this year and are simply hoping to survive somehow to summer 2021 when we might see better times.