PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard times for Norwegian
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2020, 16:33
SSDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Denti
No, quite honestly the survival of Norwegian is not in everybody's interest. Yes, the market will undoubtedly be flooded with out of work pilots, it started already a year ago and it will accelerate now of course. However, keeping a business zombie alive will endanger more jobs in viable carriers that have to compete against an artificially kept afloat one. Consolidation in Europe is necessary and overdue, and that does mean that only a few big carriers survive plus a few niche and ACMI carriers. If Norwegian leaves the market, there is a certain part of the market not served anymore, and other carriers will move in and do that, meaning the big carriers will either not downsize as much or even grow a bit initially, and a lot in the long run, generating stable jobs.

Yes, i feel for the employees, i've been in a similar situation, and yes, unemployment sucks. A lot. However, i would wish them to get good jobs in the future without the daily worry if the carrier will go under next winter or not. And that will be easier if more stable carriers can move into the void of an imploding Norwegian.

That said, the decisions will be taken elsewhere, and i seriously doubt any internet petition will change anything one way or another.
Well, agree to disagree I guess. I still think that this is the time for keeping most airlines up and running with other than normal market forces. I think most legacy carriers would rather be fighting it out with the likes of Norwegian than Ryanair and Wizz - Because that's a battle they will lose in the long run. The general population have a short memory. I think we will see a fairly quick return in pax numbers at the end of the year (not as before, naturally) and as soon as we find a better way of treating Covid-19 there will be more people interested in travelling. But hey - i'm an optimist.... We will se on the 4th of May....

Best of luck....