PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The D'havilland Heron Story
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2020, 23:33
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
7-7-75 G-ANXA For three days Manchester and on to Dounreay, left hand circuit of UK and then to Reims.

Peter's Aviation NWI had above and G-ANSZ G-APKW G-ANXB G-AXFH All were very basic and could be flown single crew.

Tabs Taberaham ran the show with me freelancing and trying hard to persuade them to expand with modern equipment since they had an AOC and a huge hangar. The UK needed that oil out of the sea, and Air Anglia and Peters were there in the early days. BA and DAN turned up at Aberdeen but it was the likes of Loganair that got to destination time and time again. I rode up front one day with Allen ? Famous for his situational awareness. Many on here will have known him. He made a turn and lo and behold, in seconds the coast appeared spot on. 'It's an eddy just at that point.' It was an eye-opener.
I was on DAKs then and found that if I never went up into cloud, there was no need to come back down through it. I'm bright like that. It was another fact that the air up in those latitudes was often crystal clear under the stratus. If I could see Fair Isle way to the left, I was in good shape to get the bizarrely off-set lead in lights on Sumbrough. VFR and a split-ar$ed turn around the Sumbrough Head Hotel and there was the 'long' runway.

Now here's something I've not said before - out loud - I asked the ministry of air bloke if there was any reason I shouldn't take what was a public transport flight at very low level. He was not in the best of moods. 'No use asking me, ?? has told me to back off'. ?? was a man in a suit who wanted the oil out of the sea.
There's much more to this story, but getting way off thread.

My goodness, there it is.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-dr...ip%3d0%26pl%3d