PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2020, 14:07
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
We'll be back to 100% Capacity in 6 months... or was it 12 months? I could of sworn someone said 18 months... but then the last guy said 5 years, except his mate told him he was dreaming and we'll be a state owned Airline by years end?

No one knows, and anyone who claims otherwise is likely postulating for their own reasons. Many seem to relish in the doom and gloom of mass redundancies.

Personally, I prefer to deal with the facts as we have them today. I can't change tomorrow so why waste time arguing about it. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Those are the numbers we have been given for the Jet Pilots only, the exact percentage of jobs lost in each department will vary. Sadly, those in less skilled areas will see greater cuts as with unemployment forecast to exceed 20% the company can replace them overnight when the time comes.
For Pilots, if Foran cuts too deep he'll ground the A320 fleet in the short term, then be forced to re-train all the Pilots he down-trained back to the 787 when COVID is behind us. Which it will be....eventually.

The Annual Wage bill for Jet pilots is ~$230mil. Obviously the company want to reduce it, but even if they halved it, that wouldn't save the Airline if things don't improve (and the logistics of doing so would be crippling). They're simply planning for the Airline they want to be when this is over. How long they'll carry some fat in the ranks is anyone's guess.

Make no mistake however, if things don't improve, when the share price bottoms out and we're on the verge of bankruptcy, that's when they Government will re-acquire the Airline, not before. Until then, I'd say we're stuck with the current terms of the agreed Loan. If the decision is made to revert the loan to $900mil Capital investment, the Government will want to do it when the share price has tanked, as it did in 2001/2.