PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?
Old 13th Apr 2020, 11:21
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by safetypee
ATC, you suggest that states will nationalise; possibly, but to do what, what need..
Some Airlines will be declared an essential public service . For France it is mainly because of the so called " territorial continuity" between the mainland and the numerous islands, territories and departments it has spread over the globe , From Corsica to Tahiti , passing by Guyana , Martinique/Guadeloupe, , Reunion, New Caledonia..etc.. Frequent Air Liaisons are essential for the State maintain its governance.and it does not have its own State aircraft fleet to do that anymore.
Keeping jobs and expertise during this crisis will also be a major consideration for a centralized State. .
For other States it might be that the "national" airline is part of the Defense system in case of crisis/war.

Many years ago when KLM was in financial trouble and could not find a partner to buy them , I was told that the State was considering nationalizing part of the airline because transporting troops in case of crisis was one of the tasks the airline still had signed with the Dutch Military , (which did not have any large transport aircraft at the time). I do not know if this is still the case. . But there are many reasons a State wants to nationalize its airline other than for a pure business case.

no return to the past, only an uncertain future
That I also agree fully .