PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2020, 08:43
Skyfaring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicbum
You are very correct and I do agree with your thoughts but at the end of the day what really matters are the academic titles you have achieved, if any.
Unfortunately a very senior captain, instructor, examiner etc.. with no academic qualifications other than those related to the technical aspect of the pilot profession (college tuition, university, masters, etc..) has zero or close to zero chances of getting a socio-economic equivalent position outside the aviation world.
Whilst Sonicbum is partially right in saying the above, academic qualifications aren’t going to get you to the top of any recruitment list - any recruiter/future employer will ask “what can this candidate offer, and will this candidate stay if the aviation industry picks up again”. As such, regardless of any Open University or online qualification, you will need to make THE decision that many of us have already made - am I in this for the long term or is this a fad? If the latter then don’t bother as you’ll only disappoint yourself.

I had a previous career before Aviation which came from a University Degree, and I can tell you now after many years away from that industry, no one will accept me open arms knowing the financial and personal investment I’ve made in Aviation. The most useful academic achievement I have is my Air Transport Diploma I gained during my flight training.

sonicbum , you say a pilot with experience has zero chances outside their current role without qualifications - I wholly disagree. Does an Army Officer (climbing ranks without a degree) do nothing after they leave the forces? No they utilise their skill set much like Willie Walsh did after retiring his license.

My advice, dig in and stock shelves if you have to, keep absorbing aviation industry knowledge, and keep in contact with the recruiters. Take the initiative to actually speak to a recruiter instead of relying on email/DM/WhatsApp! And if you aren’t committed to this industry then please feel free to leave and start again, as there are hundreds more with passion for aviation who will put in the hard work, will take the rough with the smooth, and are invested until retirement.

inabw - great link from Eurocontrol
AVIM DaveJ75 - spot on