PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The D'havilland Heron Story
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2020, 00:06
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Chris, I imagine we probably got a one-off charter that your lot couldn't do.

It's hare to believe, but this thread has possibly given me the answer. I could fly our early Heron single crew, so it must have been below twelve-five. I recall being given a mass of stainless steel pipe, a wondrous gift for anyone with a huge hobby shop in their garage, but, it had holes in it every few inches.

IT WAS THE #$%#$% FIRE SPRAY HOSE! Yes, I'm shouting. These old aircraft, reeking of petrol, had the systems taken out to reduce weight. Now I can see why it was so vital to do so.

Memories again. Two crew and we were headed back from Billund IIRC. I handed over to my young mate and settled into a snooze. I remember shouting, turn left onto one seven zero! as I commenced shut-down of number one.

Uuuuug! The engines couldn't be feathered, so the fuel pumps had to be lubricated by leaving the fuel on. Something like that. Can't quite remember. I planned to go well south before crossing the oggin, but cut the corner off more than a tad. I was brave/daft in those days.

Mate, when all was calm, said, You were snoring, how the hell did you know something was wrong? It's odd that. The head had come off a valve and was jingling away before the slight rough running, but inside one corner of my brain I was counting the engines' life-pulses. Bull-shine! I hear in chorus, but I've seen it with some of my skippers. Crap would happen, and they'd be in the loop from a snooze before I'd put my chinagraph down. Constructive fear, I'd call it.

I was given the piston. It had much the sort of pattern in the top that you'd expect.