PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will Easyjet cancel its Airbus order?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2020, 03:29
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a1anx
Post Covid airlines are going to have a problem divesting themselves of excess fleet capacity. I can't see anyone being in a hurry to buy aircraft.
I would say that depends. There will still be a demand for travel, probably even more so after being cooped up in your own home for a few months. However, as money will be scarce, those that can offer lower fares due to their lower cost structure and independence from "premium" passengers will probably be in a better place to fulfill that demand. The hardest hit sector will be the premium travel, as it was in 2009 as companies will cut back on fully paid business or even first class long range travel, and if they have to, send their personnel on economy or premium economy instead.

However, how easyjet will and can react depends largely on the decisions taken by its stakeholders now, if Stelios gets his way the company will become quite irrelevant compared to competitors like wizzair and ryanair and enter a decline, which in fact it has been in already for the last years as it has been very slow to take up opportunities when they present themselves. Which of course means that both share price and dividend will dry up over time, leaving the only conclusion that Stelios is broke right now, and doesn't really care about the future.