PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2020, 15:03
Jerry Springer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clandestino
Don't start a family - now there is sound financial advice. Can we have some more like this one?

I was always wondering about airline pilots, how much they earn, how much they needed to invest in their training etc. so could you please expand a bit?

Not getting married and not having a family is very sound financial advice. These cost the average chap an absolute fortune. I’d rather go on holidays where and when I want, shag around as I please, and retire 15 or so years earlier than I’d have been able to do had I bought a family - but life is about choices hey - each to their own - but if you choose to pay for a family, no point complaining about not having enough money for quality cocaine and hookers. You can’t have it all dude.

Want some more sound financial advice? Well another thing that has saved me money is not owning a car for about 15 years. Of course that’s not practical for everyone, but it probably saves me the best part of 10k a year.

I can’t speak for others, but I invested about 5 years of working 60 hours a week to pay for my flight training - living in a caravan, hangar and hostels for that period...yeah if frigging sucked, and I often wondered if it was worth it...but if you’re broke and want to be a pilot, that’s about what you have to do. I tried to get a bank loan, but I got rejected every time. But life is also about making some sacrifices - you can have everything and you can’t have it all at once - as much some millennials (and others) seem to think otherwise, to their frustration.

How much do airline pilots earn? I have no idea. There are flying jobs outside the airlines you know.
If I had to wear a tie and one of those silly hats to fly, then I wouldn’t be so interested. But again, each to their own hey!

Last edited by Jerry Springer; 7th Apr 2020 at 15:23.