PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government Loan to Virgin Australia
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2020, 01:42
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by longjohn
I have a lot of good mates in VAH, many ex AN who really don’t deserve this twice....

But.. I’ll call a spade a spade. It was DJ that, along with Impulse started the pilot race to the bottom in this country. Bit rich to suggest they are now the buttress against low pay...
Oh yes. The initial Virgin Blue cadre. Training Captains paid less than incumbent F/O's at AN & QF. Sure pay rises came; only after AN's demise. And the behaviour of "some" of the VB staff when the door shut at Ansett ranged from spiteful to immature. Now this was all long ago and Virgin is loaded up with great folks and I wish them well.

I'm not sure of a bail-out of a business failing anyways? I''m flabbergasted at the cost to government and we are really just past the beginning and will now face further unknowns that may resonate towards national security.

Will nations on our doorstep fail? What will China do in the region? Will the disaster unfolding affect the US military budget? Forcing nations to have to pay more for their own security?

We are going to need a plan as a nation coming out of this pandemic and there will be expensive considerations including health care and national security- along with targeted stimulus. How can government prop up failing business that were going to fail anyways?